What causes acne scarring?
Acne scarring generally results from inflamed blemishes that are caused by enlarged skin pores. Skin pores can swell up from excessive oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells, causing a break in the follicle wall. Minor tears in the follicle wall do not take as long to heal, but a major one can cause infected material to spill out into surrounding tissue to create deeper lesions.
Although our bodies do have a self-repair system, it is reliant on collagen — which we produce less of as we age, making it harder for acne scars to fade.
Some tips for dealing with existing scars include:
- Stay out of the sun. Excessive sun exposure can darken acne scars and make them more visible.
- Avoid over-scrubbing when you wash your face. Friction will irritate inflamed skin.
- Never pick at your scars. Bacteria from your hands and nails can result in the formation of additional cysts.
Scars can take a toll on your confidence. However, new technology and treatments make it possible for a skin refresh.
How are acne scars treated?
Clarity is right around the corner; say goodbye to unsightly scars and blemishes. We use a comprehensive and individualized approach to treating your skin which includes one or more of the following treatments, in combination with medical grade SkinCeutical products to maintain skin health at home!
- IPL photofacial
- Fractional laser treatments
- Dermal fillers (Juvéderm, Belotero, Radiesse)
- Chemical peels (coming soon!)
- Facials (coming soon!)
Request a complimentary consultation in Winter Park, Florida
Whether you’re dealing with acne, acne scars, or both, we’re ready to help you restore confidence. Our full suite of treatments are designed with you in mind; during your complimentary consultation, our aesthetic medical providers will tailor an individualized treatment plan to tackle your concerns. To get started, give us a call at (321) 972-2575 or request your free consultation online.